Celebrate the iconic Southern Resident orcas throughout the month of June. Choose from events and activities — coordinated by the OrcaSalmon Alliance and partners — that bring together researchers, conservation organizations, orca lovers, and elected officials, and inspire action and advocacy efforts to protect this highly endangered population. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to get involved and participate throughout this exciting month. Scroll on down to view the many, exciting Orca Month events.
– The Orca Salmon Alliance
Events & Activities
Orca Month Events
- Tue, Jun 01AnacortesJun 01, 12:00 AM – Jun 30, 11:00 PMAnacortes, Anacortes, WA 98221, USALove orcas, clean beaches, and clean waterways? Volunteers of all ages are wanted to help with a survey for the month of June and beyond. Help identify the types and rate of accumulation of marine debris on our local beaches. Protocols are easy and fun! Info: email@example.com
- Fri, Jun 04Jack Straw Cultural CenterJun 04, 7:00 PM PDT – Jul 02, 5:30 PM PDTJack Straw Cultural Center, 4261 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105, USAPresented by Endangered Species Coalition, Creature Conserve and Jack Straw Cultural Center for Orca Action. Virtual show opening (7pm, June 4). The exhibit will then be open by appointment M-F 10:00-5:30 June 4 to July 2. This event will also be available online.
- Mon, Jun 07Georgia Strait WebsiteJun 07, 12:00 AM PDT – Jun 30, 4:00 AM PDTGeorgia Strait Website“Plog” during the month of June while raising funds for Georgia Strait Alliance’s efforts to protect and recover the Southern Resident orcas. Divert waste from the Salish Sea and preserve a clean environment for marine species while having fun!
- Fri, Jun 11Jun 11, 7:30 PM – Jun 30, 5:00 PMGet out your crayons! Print and complete NOAA's Marine Coloring Book and email photos of your completed coloring book to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30. Winners will be announced in July on Facebook and Twitter and will receive a NOAA Orca poster. Download book at registration link.
- Wed, Jun 16Online
- Jun 17, 12:00 PM PDTOnlinethis webinar is presented by NOAA’s Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary and NOAA Fisheries West Coast Region, and Northwest Fisheries Science Center. Speakers include: Lynda Mapes, Lynne Barre, Brian Burke, Brad Hanson, and Marla Holt. Registration link: Registration (gotowebinar.com)
- Thu, Jun 17Zoom Webinar
- Orca Month Book Club - Secrets of the Whales National Geographic Magazine May Issue Community DiscussionThu, Jun 17Online Event, Pre-Register
- Sat, Jun 19SeattleJun 19, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM PDTSeattle, 1660 Harbor Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98126, USAAlki Kayak Tours is offering special kayak tours each Saturday in June for paddlers to learn about the Southern Resident orca. Each week will feature a new guest speaker from Washington Environmental Council. Paddle and learn!
- Mon, Jun 21Zoom
- Wed, Jun 23Online